Monday, March 2, 2009

We are reading a new book for our morning reading titled Vinegar Boy by Alberta Hawse. It is a view of the crucifixion from a young boy's perspective. He is in charge of the vinegar and myrrh brought to those who are to be crucified. So far I know I am enjoying it. It is over Spanky's head for sure and Nina is getting something...but I think Sal is getting a lot from it.
Today the chapter we were in was when Christ was being crucified and the boy is talking to one of the guards that he knows about Jesus, Pilate and the high priests. The boy did not understand why Jesus was sent to die if He did nothing wrong. Here is the part I thought was interesting:
Boy: "Why did the high priest hate him?"
Guard (Marconius): "Religion can make slaves of men, too, Boy. And Jesus came to set them free, I think. He offered peace and freedom---and where is freedom for those who must constantly sacrifice?"
Now I don't relate to the sacrifices the Jews made, but, this got me to thinking...what 'sacrifices' do I hang on to in order to make myself 'feel' righteous. Rather than just receiving the grace that Christ offers? When in truth those very things I feel I must 'sacrifice' or do in order to be righteous or look righteous are the very things that keep me from the peace and freedom He has for me. It is only when I am living in the grace, peace and freedom that He gives me that I can then in turn do all that He has prepared for me to do. In His strength, not mine. With His motives, not mine. For HIS glory, not mine!

1 comment:

Christy said...

Awesome... I love to hear what the Lord is teaching you. I saw your mom-in-law this weekend... she just bubbled over about you... saying that you have really turned out to be an amazing mother... and that she just thinks the world of you. Thought you might want to know! She loves you!