Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The bravest patient...

Today was great! It well so smooth. Donovan was more than a trooper. We got there signed in and within minutes were taken back to pre-op. As we walked in I saw him take a deep breath...too cute. They showed which bed would be his and started all the paper work. At first he would not look the nurses in the eyes (maybe he thought they wouldn't acknowledge him and let him go home...) But after a little while he warmed up to them and his curiosity kicked in. The staff of nurses where absolutely amazing. So sweet and attentive. Before they rolled him in he gave me a big hug and kiss and off he went. He was so excited that his bed rolled he didn't even look back.
When I went back in after the surgery one of the nurses told me he was the bravest patient they had so far today. What a big guy!
Tonight as I was tucking him in he started talking about his day.....he said.."mom...the doctor was fun." I asked him why...he said..."because they gave me a Popsicle and Gatorade like daddy." Then he said..."mom can I please go back?" I guess he wasn't scared at all! Then he told me about the gas mask and how he wasn't able to blow the bag up like he was supposed to. He was really serious when he was telling me this...and it took all I had not to fall over laughing. (sure you couldn't blow that bag up, after two puffs it was bye-bye to happy place!) He stopped talking for a minute...I think he was trying to recall what happened next. LOL...Then he told me about the monitor they put on his finger and how it kept track of his heart. He paused and then looked at me and said......"God's in there"...I smiled!

3 comments:

Christy said...

so glad things went well... we were praying for Donovan yesterday. Have a blessed day.
christy

Billie said...

Tell little Spanky I am so proud of him for being so brave. I am so glad everything went well and he wasn't scared.

Tracy said...

Glad everything ran smoothly. I am so glad he has good memories of it his trip to the dr.